One of my favourite things to do is recreate old recipes, with a health kick. Mum always used to make us these amazing self-saucing chocolate, or caramel puddings. So here is my attempt, with a touch of salted caramel of course (it appears to be the theme lately)… Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free.
It was so good! My man inhaled his, then jokingly attempted to tell me he didn’t like it, in the hope that I would try again and make another batch!
This recipe is so quick and easy, great for those sugar cravings on a cold winter night, no excuses for going for the refined white sugars!
3 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4tsp of vanilla bean paste
Pinch of bicarbonate soda
1/2 cup of half and half almond meal and buckwheat flour, combined
1/2 ripe banana
Sprinkle of sea salt
1. Microwave the medjool dates in the boiling water in a small bowl for 1 minute. Mash with a fork.
2. Whole waiting in another bowl combine the almond meal/buckwheat flour and mashed banana until it forms a dry batter. Add a little bit of water to form a batter consistency, if too dry.
3. Add the tahini and vanilla extract to the date mixture and then add a pinch of bicarbonate soda
4. Divide the almond, buckwheat and banana mixture into 2 small ramekins, press down.
5. Add the date mixture on the top and microwave for 30 seconds. Then add a sprinkle of salt over the top and serve with salted caramel banana nice-cream
Salted caramel banana nice-cream
1 frozen banana
1/4 cup of almond milk or water
1 tsp tahini
1 cap of vanilla extract
1 medjool date
Sprinkle of salt
Blend until combined.