Are you feeling the financial struggle flowing on from the festive season?
If you are anything like me, you may have overindulged, and forgot about a few bills coming up, and weddings! So here are some tips for shopping and eating on a budget (just until you get back on your feet).
Fruit and Vegetables:
- Keep the offcuts from your vegies to throw in your smoothies.
- Buy bananas in bulk and freeze – throw into your smoothies or make yummy banana nice-cream.
- Grow your own kale – yep $3 a plant and yields all year round! Throw it in your salads, wilted in rice dishes, chips or in your smoothies.
- Par-cook your vegies (broccoli, zucchini, eggplant), portion and freeze to later add to rice dishes etc.
- Whole grains are your friend – buy them in bulk. I then make up three different rice or quinoa dishes for dinner (see my throw together on Facebook). Also great for breakfast dishes: rice puddings, fruit crumbles.
- Potato – dry roast white and sweet potato… starch is actually part of a healthy diet!
- Buy chickpeas and lentils in bulk – soak, cook and freeze in portions – throw on your salads, into your curries, or make some hummus or lentil patties.
- Coconut milk – great for curries, coconut rice, rice puddings!
- Use your tea bags twice: Yep, sounds tight, but it’s great for the wallet and the environment!