Since switching to a gluten-free and whole-food plant based diet, I will be honest, crumpets and English muffins (warm with melted butter and Vegemite mmm) is one thing I had missed… Until now (and my sourdough bread was turning out more like rocks… enter crumpets!)
- 1.5 cups of sourdough starter (or 3/4 a cup of buckwheat flour mixed with half a cup of filtered water)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda (or bicarb soda)
How to make your sourdough starter:
3-5 days prior to wanting to make these delicious, fluffy crumpets, add 1/4c of buckwheat flour and 1/2c of filtered water into a large bowl. Cover the bowl with a tea towel/cheese cloth and secure with a band.
Vigorously stir the mixture morning and evening. Once a day (morning or evening) mix together another 1/4c of buckwheat flour and 1/2c of filtered water and add to the existing bowl. Repeat this for 3-5 days. A tart/sour smell will be present and a brown/purple colour may appear on top with a layer of clear liquid – this is normal. The good microbes are doing their thing, and your gut will love you for introducing it to these amazing, gut promoting crumpets! See here why gut health is so important.
- Remove the cover from your sourdough starter and add the baking/bicarb soda.
- Whisk until combined. You want the batter light and airy.
- Grease 4 egg rings and place in a pan (non-stick is good) over low heat.
- Fill the rings ½ way up and cook until the top begins to set and is full of holes. If the top doesn’t set, place a lid over the pan at the end, to cook the top.
- Optional: Remove the rings and flip. Cook the other side for two minutes.
- Serve fresh or toast and serve with my amazing gluten-free Vegemite, or chia jam, or banana nice-cream, or cinnamon and lemon (the options are endless!)