Having a boyfie with a Dutch heritage definitely has its perks, particularly when you get your hands on some Speculaas spices! These cookies, have a beautiful spice flavour, perfect timing for Christmas! And super simple (just like my choc chip cookies – minus the chocolate, plus the spices).
3 tbs of speculaas spices (google how to make your own – think cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, cloves)
130g (1/2c) almond butter
100g (3/4c) coconut sugar
1 chia egg (1 tbs of chia seeds mixed with 3tbs of water)
1tsp vanilla bean paste
90g (3/4c) almond meal
2 scoops of Protein boost
2 scoops of fibre boost (or substitute protein boost and fibre with another 90g (3/4c) of almond meal)
1/2 tsp of bicarb soda
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Blend butter, sugar, chia egg and vanilla with a high powered blender (thermo: 2min/speed 3)
3. Add flour bicarb soda and baking powder and bind (thermo: 40 sec/speed 4)
5. Add the speculaas mix and mix together manually (thermo: 30 sec/speed 2)
6. Form dough into approx. 12 golf ball sized cookies, spread 5cm apart on a non stick tray/tray lined with baking paper for 10-12 minutes.
7. Cool on a rack before storing in a container. Or better still, eat them warm!
NOTE: Due to the ingredients (all goodness!) of the cookies, they may not spread as wide and flat, but they are still chewing and delicious! Double the recipe for bulk cookies 🙂