With International Day of Happiness happening on Monday March 20th, I thought it very fitting to blog on the topic.
I always (and sometimes still do) allow my external world to dictate my happiness, instead of choosing and creating my own happiness. I had heard so many people say that happiness is a choice, and honestly, I wanted to scream at them. I was in victim mode… Life happens TO me, not I create my life.
So where do we start when those blues hit us? Here are three proven psychology exercises that increase happiness levels, providing results after just one week!
Try all three exercises, and notice how they affect your mindset, and ultimately, your actions:
1. THREE BLESSINGS:
- Before you go to bed, write down three good things that happened during the day.
- Then, write down why each of them happened.
- Think about the impact these positive events had on your day. How would your day have gone if they didn’t happen?
- Identify three strategies for continuing to live in a state of thankfulness, manifesting more positivity and improvement. I personally LOVE The Magic by Rhonda Byrne, and actually start my day with 10 things I am grateful for and why. As soon as my feet hit the floor I am in a state of gratitude… As each foot hits the ground I say: Thank. You.
- Write down each time something good happens, or actions you take to make a bad situation good. What are the lessons?
2. GRATITUDE VISIT:
- Think of someone who has done something important for you who you’ve never properly thanked.
- In a letter, write down exactly what they did and the specific effect it had on your life. Be specific.
- Write and rewrite it multiple times. Make it powerful and concise.
- Handwrite the letter – be creative.
- Meet with the person face to face, and read them the letter. Don’t forget to bring tissues – the tears may flow.
3. USE YOUR SIGNATURE STRENGTHS:
- Review the list of 24 signature strengths below.
- Think of ways you already use your signature strengths.
- Brainstorm ways you can use them even more, writing down specific actions you can take.
- Commit to using your strengths in new ways this week.
- Carry a small notebook with you and write down each time you complete an action that utilizes your signature strengths. Share with a friend.
How will you bring more happiness into your life?
For me it is starting my day right. How you start your day, is how you live your day, is how you live your life. Check out my post here on my miracle morning.
Happy Day of Happiness, not just on March 20th, but each and everyday! 🙂