Yay I made it through! I did my first juice detox this week… why you may ask?
I had been eating out a bit and not making the best choices (who wants a salad when its cold!?). This meant a diet higher in processed food containing oil, sugar and salt than I would typically have. My belly was doing back flips. Warning: over share – the bloating, gurgling and gas was horrible!
I thought: I need to reset my digestive system. I had never really done a detox, as I had not felt that my body needed it (I always eat fairly well), and I am no longer someone who worries about weight, to me it is about being healthy… But I thought why not give it a go, so I can share my experience with my readers.
So here are my tips:
- Set yourself a time limit so you have an end point to look forward to. For me two days was enough, and after one day I already started to feel amazing!
- Search for a variety of juice ingredients in order to keep some variety in your diet.
- Ensure you UP the greens – celery, kale, cucumber to get the full benefits of a detox (great for inflammation, calcium and magnesium), as just having fruit will fill your body full of (natural) sugar. Too much of something is never good!
- Keep yourself busy – Did I want to eat my leg at times? Sure, but looking back now it wasn’t that bad and so worth it. I was lucky as I had a day where I was working longer hours, and on the other day, I went to bed early – nights can be the hardest.
- Slowly introduce foods back into your diet one by one if you are wanting to pin point foods that may upset you. Do not gorge yourself – you will make yourself sick.
What I learnt:
- That I actually don’t need to eat as much as I do.
- To appreciate good, healthy food – you don’t know what you’ve got until.. it’s liquid!
- To worship my body and make choices for myself and to not try and fit in or make other people happy. It is OUR body, what works for one person, doesn’t work for another. So honour that, and don’t justify to others your choices. IT. IS. YOUR. BODY!
So from here on for me, it’s saying no to eating out as much or making healthier choices, like salads. And I’ve already started, on Saturday night the house ordered pizzas and stick date pudding, so I made my own versions, loved it and felt so much better afterwards!
But maybe a juice detox is not for you, I’d love to chat with you about how you may be able to kick start your digestion and health. Contact me if you would like to book a FREE 30 minute consultation.