So you know how much I love recreating recipes that remind me of my childhood, well I kind of borrowed this recipe from here (Thanks Tilds for sending this amazing recipe to me). It was so good, you don’t even miss the meat.
Yep, my man only had 1 evening meal this week that had meat in it, I also made my vegan shepherd’s pie that he loves, see it here. We laughed as we read the original recipe – ‘cheagan’ – a cheating vegan… He eats vegan when no one is watching haha! No, more to the point, I love cooking, he eats what I cook, and of course eating vegan tastes delicious!
Now down to the recipe:
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped into quarters
- 4 large carrots, cut into thick pieces
- 20 button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 ¼ cups of dry red wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 Tbs of home-made gluten free Vegemite (recipe here, or use normal/vegetable paste)
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 5 large Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbs Vegan Butter such as Nutelex
- 1 tsp of Olive Oil
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a frying pan place 1 tsp of olive oil. Add the carrots, season with and pepper and cook over medium heat, turning frequently until browned, (5 minutes/side). Remove from pan and place in a crock pot.
3. Add the mushrooms to the pan, cook over medium heat, until half done. Remove from pan and also place in the crock pot.
4. In the frying pan bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Drain and put in the crock pot.
5. Place the crock pot on the stove on medium heat, sprinkle the carrots, onion and mushrooms with the curry powder and cook, stirring a few times, about 1 minute.
6. Add the wine and simmer over medium high heat for 3 minutes.
7. Add the vegetable stock and Vegemite. Bring to the boil.
8. Cover the crock pot with a lid and transfer to the oven and cook for 2 hours.
9. Place the Peeled and quartered potatoes in a pot, cover with water and boil until tender.
10. Mash the potatoes with almond milk and optional: Nutelex butter
11. Serve the mash onto a place, top with the stew and a sprinkle of parsley.